IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE
CHILDREN AGED UNDER 16
If you are under 16, you must ask your parent or a guardian before you:
- email the website, or ask us to email anything to you;
- send any information to us;
By continuing to use the Website and any of the services offered by it, you are confirming that you have received the consent of your parent or a guardian.
This website is the official website of The Car People Ltd ("we", "us" and “the company’). If you have any comments or questions about this website or any of our services please contact us by one of the methods shown below.
0114 224 3282
The Car People
Calder Island Way
The Car People Limited is a company incorporated in England & Wales with company number 3743283.
The Website and the materials on it are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights and laws throughout the world. You agree not to:
Ownership Of Materials And Licence Terms
- use any of the materials on this website for commercial exploitation without our prior written consent;
- establish a link to this website from any other website, intranet or extranet site without the our prior written consent;
- do anything that may interfere with or disrupt this website or our services;
- post any information on or send any information via the Website that does not comply with the our Acceptable Use Policy set out below; or
- do anything that may infringe the rights of any other pers
If you send any comments, suggestions or materials to us from or concerning the Website, the company, it’s management or staff or any other matter (“User Materials”):
- we shall be entitled to adapt, broadcast, copy, disclose, license, publish, sell, transmit and otherwise use such User Materials for any and all commercial and non-commercial purposes; and
you warrant that you have obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals in order to allow us such use.
Acceptable Use Policy
Any and all materials which you contribute to or send via the Website must:
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with all applicable law in the United Kingdom and in any country from which they are posted
- Any and all materials which you contribute to or send via the Website must not:
- be unlawful, harmful, threatening, defamatory, libellous, obscene, harassing or racially or ethnically offensive;
- facilitate or promote illegal activity;
- be or contain anything which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, a computer virus, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data);
- infringe the intellectual property rights or other rights of any third party;
- promote unlawful violence, discriminate based on race, gender, colour, religious belief, sexual orientation, disability; or
- be contributed or sent for commercial gain.
The Website is provided free of charge and we make no guarantee that it will be uninterrupted or error free. We reserve the right to suspend or withdraw the whole or any part of the Website at any time without notice and without incurring any liability.
Links From This Website
We may, from time to time, provide links from the Website to websites that are owned and controlled by third parties. These links are provided only for your convenience and we have no control over, and will have no liability in respect of, those third party websites.
Internet transmissions are never completely private or secure and there is a risk, therefore, that any message or information you send to us from the Website may be intercepted and potentially read by others. We will have no liability in respect of any transmissions you send to us and you do so entirely at your own risk.
Accuracy Of Information
We take care to ensure that all information available on the Website about us, our vehicles and our services is accurate and up-to-date. However, these are continually developing and updated and the information on the Website may, occasionally, be inaccurate or out of date. We have no liability for any inaccurate information and reserve the right to correct it at any time.
Prices and vehicle details including mileages may differ from that shown. As the vehicles shown are used vehicles the specification may not be as standard.
Offers, prices and vehicle details may be subject to change. Please ensure that a vehicle has any specific feature that is important to you prior to purchase.
The team at our Contact Centre or one of our sites will be happy to assist you.
Registration to My Account & Other Services
Website users may be offered the opportunity to subscribe and/or register to receive additional restricted access to the Website to enrich their user experience & store information that may be useful to themselves. We are not under any obligation to accept a request for registration or subscription and reserve the right to suspend or terminate access at any time for any reason e.g. if your continued use is believed to prejudice us or other users.
Responsibility for the security of any passwords issued by us or chosen by you rests with you.
Withdrawal of your Access to the Website
The Company, and all other parties (whether or not involved in creating, producing, maintaining or delivering the Website), and officers, directors, employees, shareholders or agents of any of the company, exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damages, or any loss of income, profits, goodwill, data, contracts, use of money, or loss or damages arising from or connected in any way to business interruption, and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract or otherwise) in connection with:
- the Website;
- the use, inability to use or the results of use of the Website; and
- any websites linked to the Website or the material on such websites,
including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the Website or your downloading of any material from the Website or any websites linked to the Website.
- death or personal injury caused by negligence (as such term is defined by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977); or
- fraud; or
- misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
- any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Information Relating A Third Party
You undertake not to either include or otherwise disclose any confidential information or personal data relating to third parties in connection with your use of the Website without that third party's express written consent.
Car Buyer Service Terms & Conditions
By ticking on the ‘I accept the Terms & Conditions’ box you are accepting the following terms & conditions;
Valuer – The Car People Ltd, Calder Island Way, Wakefield WF2 7AW
Site – www.thecarpeople.co.uk/car-buyer & it’s subpages
Valuation – The price offered by the Valuer to the Owner for the Vehicle.
Vehicle – The vehicle details being entered into this site for the purpose of a valuation.
Owner – The person entering details into this website. Also the legal owner and registered keeper of the vehicle details being entered into this site.
Terms & Conditions
- The Valuer provides the Valuation to the Owner based on their accurate appraisal of the Vehicle. The Valuation will be valid until it’s expiry date, which is documented on the Valuation e-mail sent by the Valuer.
- The Owner warrants that their appraisal is accurate & complete.
- The Valuer is permitted to adjust their Valuation once they are able to view the Vehicle at their premises, but only if the Customer’s appraisal is inaccurate in any way or if additional adverse information becomes known.
- The Valuer reserves the right to reject the Vehicle if they are not informed about any significant items that affect the Vehicles value (e.g. Unknown registrations on stolen or write off registers).
- The Owner warrants that they are the legal owner & registered keeper of the Vehicle and they have good title to sell it.
- The Owner can only deliver the Vehicle to the Valuer at the agreed location at the appointed time.
- The Vehicle must be roadworthy.
- The Valuer will only buy the vehicle from the Owner if they are the registered keeper of the vehicle & they can provide the original, current UK V5c (registration document) when they deliver the vehicle.
- The Owner will ensure that all relevant documentation for the Vehicle, that was disclosed on the Vehicle appraisal, is brought with them when they deliver the Vehicle. Any items disclosed on the appraisal but not with the Vehicle may affect the Vehicle’s value. (e.g. MoT certificate, service history, etc)
- The Valuer will pay the Owner the amount agreed as long as the Vehicle is described. Payment will be made by business cheque unless other arrangements have been made.
- If the Owner has outstanding finance on the Vehicle then this will either need to be fully cleared in advance of handing the Vehicle over or settled by the Valuer.
- If the Owner has outstanding finance that is greater than the value of the Vehicle then the Valuer will settle such finance as long as they are in receipt of cleared funds for the difference between the settlement and the final agreed Valuation of the Vehicle.
- All parts of this contract can only be amended in writing between both parties. Either by letter to Car Buyer Dept, The Car People, Brittania Way, Catcliffe Rotherham S60 5BD or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also read the frequently asked questions below, to ensure everything has been covered before we progress with your valuation.
Car Buyer Service Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What happens if I don't enter full details of my car's condition?
Our valuation is based on the details you provide us. We hold the details you enter when obtaining a valuation and will check that this information is accurate when we see your car.
If your online appraisal does not match our appraisal of the car on viewing, we may need to adjust the valuation.
Q: What if I have outstanding finance against my car?
We are a licensed credit broker and used to handling settlements on behalf of our customers. We will be happy to settle the outstanding finance as part of the transaction. Depending on the finance company, and due to Data Protection regulations, you may have to obtain your settlement in writing on our behalf. If you wish to settle the outstanding finance yourself, we will need written confirmation of full & final settlement from your finance company prior to us purchasing your car.
lease note that it can take over 7 days to receive this after your finance company have received your payment.
Q: What if I owe more than the car is worth?
If you owe more on your finance than the value of the car, we will still be happy to buy the car, but you will need to pay us the shortfall by debit card when we purchase your car.
Q: What if I do not have a V5 registration document or it’s not in my name?
We are unable to purchase any car without the original V5 document (log book). Also to prevent fraud we will only buy a car where it is registered in your name. If you do not have a V5c or need to register yourself as the vehicle’s keeper then contact either your Local Vehicle Licensing Office or the DVLA. It normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a new V5.
Q: Do you buy cars with Private Registration Plates?
If you don’t want to keep your registration number then it’s no problem. However if you want to transfer it or put it onto a retention certificate then you’ll need to have completed that process and have your new V5c (registration document) back beforehand.
To find out more about personalised registrations and locate your local DVLA office, visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/index.htm
Q: What if my car has been imported?
We will still buy your car, but bear in mind that models and specifications vary from country to country. So the price may differ from that of a UK supplied car in some circumstances. There are two types of import: a “parallel” import (i.e. purchased within the EU) and a “grey” import (i.e. purchased outside the EU). Cars which are parallel imports are typically UK specification and can normally be valued online.
If your car does not appear on our website, email us at email@example.com with the details of your car and a contact number and we’ll call you back.
Q: Why do you need my email address and telephone number?
We need your email address so that we can send you your car valuation, once it has been calculated. We ask for your telephone number so that we can get in touch if we have any queries about your car. Please note, we fully adhere to the 1998 Data Protection Act and will not divulge any of your personal details to any other third party.
Q: How do you calculate the price for my car?
Our valuers take all the details that you enter into the website into account and individually price your car. We base our valuation on your description, so the more accurate the information you enter the better our valuation will be. We use our own market intelligence as well as trade books and market reports to give you the most accurate price we can. Our valuations are subject to viewing the car and should not be construed as a contract. The condition of your vehicle must be confirmed by a member of our team prior to purchase.
Q: What about my information, is it safe?
Your information is stored in full compliance with the 1998 Data Protection Act and will not be shared with any other company outside of The Car People Ltd.
Q: How do I make an appointment?
Once you’ve accepted our offer we’ll contact you to agree a date, time & location where your car can be dropped off & appraised.
Q: When are you open?
We are able to accept vehicles weekdays 10:00am to 7:00pm (excluding bank holidays) & Saturdays 10:00am to 12:00pm.
Q: What do I need to bring with me when I drop my car off?
To prevent fraud we ask that you bring both parts of your driving license with you. Please let us know if this is an issue.
Other than that we require the following documentation;
- V5c (registration certificate) - If the V5 logbook/registration certificate is still in the owner’s maiden name, you will need to bring a copy of your marriage certificate
- All service history and MOT certificates if available
- If the vehicle has any finance outstanding we will require a letter with the settlement figure from the finance company. This needs to have an expiry date of at least 7 days after your appointed drop off date
Any other document/keys/codes that are relevant to the vehicle. Especially if you have detailed them on the appraisal.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will call you back. Please ensure your valuation reference is on the e-mail.
Q: How will you pay me?
We’ll pay you by company cheque, which will be ready for you to take away when you drop your car off.
If you need your money more quickly, or want immediate cleared funds, we can offer a Telegraphic Transfer. This will mean that you have the money in your account either the same day or the next day (if dropped off after 12:00pm).
Telegraphic Transfer payments are charged at £50.00 & will be made directly to your bank account on banking days only.
Q: What if I haven’t received my valuation email?
We promise to have your valuation back to you within 24 hours. If you have not received an email within this time, you may have entered your email address incorrectly on the website or it may have been intercepted by the spam or junk email filter on your computer. ‘Spam’ filters are designed to stop junk email from arriving in your inbox but may occasionally block legitimate emails in error.
After checking if you have still not received our email then please email us at email@example.com, stating your name & e-mail address.