Terms & Conditions
IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE
CHILDREN AGED UNDER 16
If you are under 16, you must ask your parent or a guardian before you:
- email the website, or ask us to email anything to you;
- send any information to us;
By continuing to use the Website and any of the services offered by it, you are confirming that you have received the consent of your parent or a guardian.
This website is the official website of The Car People Ltd ("we", "us" and “the company’). If you have any comments or questions about this website or any of our services please contact us by one of the methods shown below.
0114 224 3282
The Car People
Calder Island Way
The Car People Limited is a company incorporated in England & Wales with company number 3743283.
The Website and the materials on it are protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights and laws throughout the world. You agree not to:
Ownership Of Materials And Licence Terms
- use any of the materials on this website for commercial exploitation without our prior written consent;
- establish a link to this website from any other website, intranet or extranet site without the our prior written consent;
- do anything that may interfere with or disrupt this website or our services;
- post any information on or send any information via the Website that does not comply with the our Acceptable Use Policy set out below; or
- do anything that may infringe the rights of any other pers
If you send any comments, suggestions or materials to us from or concerning the Website, the company, it’s management or staff or any other matter (“User Materials”):
- we shall be entitled to adapt, broadcast, copy, disclose, license, publish, sell, transmit and otherwise use such User Materials for any and all commercial and non-commercial purposes; and
you warrant that you have obtained all necessary licences and/or approvals in order to allow us such use.
Acceptable Use Policy
Any and all materials which you contribute to or send via the Website must:
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with all applicable law in the United Kingdom and in any country from which they are posted
- Any and all materials which you contribute to or send via the Website must not:
- be unlawful, harmful, threatening, defamatory, libellous, obscene, harassing or racially or ethnically offensive;
- facilitate or promote illegal activity;
- be or contain anything which is technically harmful (including, without limitation, a computer virus, logic bombs, Trojan horses, worms, harmful components, corrupted data or other malicious software or harmful data);
- infringe the intellectual property rights or other rights of any third party;
- promote unlawful violence, discriminate based on race, gender, colour, religious belief, sexual orientation, disability; or
- be contributed or sent for commercial gain.
The Website is provided free of charge and we make no guarantee that it will be uninterrupted or error free. We reserve the right to suspend or withdraw the whole or any part of the Website at any time without notice and without incurring any liability.
Links From This Website
We may, from time to time, provide links from the Website to websites that are owned and controlled by third parties. These links are provided only for your convenience and we have no control over, and will have no liability in respect of, those third party websites.
Internet transmissions are never completely private or secure and there is a risk, therefore, that any message or information you send to us from the Website may be intercepted and potentially read by others. We will have no liability in respect of any transmissions you send to us and you do so entirely at your own risk.
Accuracy Of Information
We take care to ensure that all information available on the Website about us, our vehicles and our services is accurate and up-to-date. However, these are continually developing and updated and the information on the Website may, occasionally, be inaccurate or out of date. We have no liability for any inaccurate information and reserve the right to correct it at any time.
Prices and vehicle details including mileages may differ from that shown. As the vehicles shown are used vehicles the specification may not be as standard.
Offers, prices and vehicle details may be subject to change. Please ensure that a vehicle has any specific feature that is important to you prior to purchase.
The team at our Contact Centre or one of our sites will be happy to assist you.
Registration to My Account & Other Services
Website users may be offered the opportunity to subscribe and/or register to receive additional restricted access to the Website to enrich their user experience & store information that may be useful to themselves. We are not under any obligation to accept a request for registration or subscription and reserve the right to suspend or terminate access at any time for any reason e.g. if your continued use is believed to prejudice us or other users.
Responsibility for the security of any passwords issued by us or chosen by you rests with you.
Withdrawal of your Access to the Website
The Company, and all other parties (whether or not involved in creating, producing, maintaining or delivering the Website), and officers, directors, employees, shareholders or agents of any of the company, exclude all liability and responsibility for any amount or kind of loss or damage that may result to you or a third party (including without limitation, any direct, indirect, punitive or consequential loss or damages, or any loss of income, profits, goodwill, data, contracts, use of money, or loss or damages arising from or connected in any way to business interruption, and whether in tort (including without limitation negligence), contract or otherwise) in connection with:
- the Website;
- the use, inability to use or the results of use of the Website; and
- any websites linked to the Website or the material on such websites,
including but not limited to loss or damage due to viruses that may infect your computer equipment, software, data or other property on account of your access to, use of, or browsing the Website or your downloading of any material from the Website or any websites linked to the Website.
- death or personal injury caused by negligence (as such term is defined by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977); or
- fraud; or
- misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter; or
- any liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
Information Relating A Third Party
You undertake not to either include or otherwise disclose any confidential information or personal data relating to third parties in connection with your use of the Website without that third party's express written consent.
TERMS OF BUSINESS
Accepting our Terms of Business
By asking us to quote for, arrange or handle your finance and insurance requirements, you are providing your informed agreement to these Terms of Business.
For your own benefit and protection, you should read these terms carefully. They lay down important information regarding our status and the use of your personal data. If you are unsure about any aspect of our Terms of
Business or have any questions regarding our relationship with you, please contact us using any of the methods on the rear of this document.
The Car People and the Financial Conduct Authority
The Car People Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Our Financial Services Register number is 305727.
Our permitted business is introducing, advising, arranging, dealing as agent, assisting in the administration and performance of general insurance contracts and credit broking, debt adjusting and debt counselling in relation to arranging motor finance.
You may check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website, www.fca.org.uk/register/ or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768.
What to do if you have a complaint
We aim to provide you with a high level of customer service at all times but, if you are not satisfied, please contact us:
- In writing... Write to the location you purchased your vehicle from, for the attention of the customer services department
- By phone... 0333 222 6544
- By email... firstname.lastname@example.org
When dealing with your complaint, we will follow our complaint handling procedures; a summary of these procedures is available on request.
If you cannot settle your complaint with us you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Contacting the Financial Ombudsmen Service
The Financial Ombudsmen Service can be contacted in the following ways:
The Financial Ombudsmen Service
Harbour Exchange Square
London E14 9SR
By telephone: 0207 964 1000
Their website: http://www.financial-ombudsmen.org.uk/
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) for our insurance mediation activities. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. If you are eligible to claim from the FSCS, compensation is available as follows:
- Insurance advising and arranging is covered for 90% of the claim, without any upper limit
- For compulsory classes of insurance (such as Third Party Motor or
Employers Liability), insurance advising and arranging is covered for 100% of the claim without any upper limit
Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS on 0800 678 1100 (freephone) or 020 7741 4100 or www.fscs.org.uk.
The products and services we offer.
We offer finance facilities from a limited number of lenders and act as a credit broker, we do not offer advice in relation to this but we will ask some questions to narrow down the selection of options available; you will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed. The majority of our finance business is placed with our two main finance partners, Blackhorse Asset Finance and Santander Consumer Finance.
Finance proposal activity
Our finance application system performs a quotation search to enable us to understand whether you meet our main lender’s eligibility criteria. Unless you inform us of known issues with your credit history, have selected a specialist finance product or the search identifies that our two main lenders are not suitable, we will then propose your application to one of them. If you have a preference over which provider we submit your application to, then please let us know. Where you do not have a preference and the product features, terms and associated costs are the same, we will, subject to your agreement, submit your application to either one of these providers.
If, due to the above reasons, we are unable to either propose your information to them, or gain an acceptance from them, then we have access to other lenders via a specialist credit broker, who may accept your proposal. Our policy is not to send your information to any more than two lenders, at which point we shall discuss your options with you and, where you have agreed that we refer you to the specialist broker, we will advise you about the type of service they are providing when assisting you to find suitable financing.
Our role is to advise you in relation to suitable insurance products and, after we have assessed your needs, to make a recommendation. We offer insurance products from a limited number of insurers for Roadside Assistance, Combined GAP Insurance (including Financial Shortfall and Retail Price Insurance Cover), and Tyre and Alloy Insurance. You may ask us for a list of insurers we deal with. We will not under any circumstance guarantee the solvency of any insurer.
In all instances we do not charge you a fee for the supply of these products or services.
Your duty of disclosure
You are responsible for answering any questions in relation to any proposal for finance or insurance cover honestly and to the best of your knowledge, providing complete and accurate information which insurers and finance lenders may require. This also applies to your responses in relation to any assumptions you may agree to in the process of applying for finance or insurance cover. If you fail to disclose information, or misrepresent any fact which may influence the lender’s or insurer’s decision to accept the proposal, this could impact the arrangements including the terms/facilities offered or made available to you. You must check all details on any proposal form or Statement of Facts and pay particular attention to any declaration you may be asked to sign.
It is important that you read all documents issued to you and ensure that you are aware of the terms that apply and the insurance cover and limits.
Particular attention must be paid to any warranties and conditions. You must inform us immediately of any changes in circumstances, which may affect the services provided by us. If you are unsure about any matter, please contact us for guidance.
Payment for our services
We may receive a payment or other benefit from the finance provider and insurers if you decide to enter an agreement with them. In all instances we do not charge you a fee for the supply of these products or services. You will receive a quotation which will tell you the total price to be paid, and which identifies any fees, taxes and charges, before your insurance and/or finance arrangements are concluded.
Your information, the finance proposal form and Credit Reference Agency (CRA) searches
We shall use the information you give us on the finance proposal form to submit applications to the finance companies we deal with. They will use this information to undertake searches with credit reference and fraud agencies, to enable them to make a decision regarding lending to you.
We’ll inform you of any declines and the information the finance company gives us in relation to them. Decline notices from the lenders will be available from us.
Information regarding your finance acceptance
Once we have an acceptance from a finance provider then they will supply us with Pre-Contractual Information regarding your proposed agreement. We shall contact you to discuss this, and provide you with a copy. It is important you review this document to ensure that you are happy the agreement is right for you and you can afford it. You can also use this document to compare this acceptance to any other lenders you may be considering.
Your Handover Executive will also discuss this document with you, to answer any further questions. If you have any concerns please raise them with us at any point. Do not sign and conclude the finance agreement until you are happy with the terms and conditions you are agreeing to.
Conflicts of interest
Occasions can arise where we, or one of our associated companies, clients or product providers, may have a potential conflict of interest with business being transacted for you. If this happens, and we become aware that a potential conflict exists, we will write to you and obtain your consent before we carry out your instructions, and we will detail the steps we will take to ensure fair treatment.
Handling client money
Client money is handled under a risk transfer agreement. That means we act as agents of the insurer in collecting premiums and handling refunds due to clients. Such monies are deemed to be held by the insurer(s) with whom your insurance is arranged.
The information we collect
The information you provide to us may be held by us for the following reasons: to allow us to gain a finance acceptance and fulfil your order requirements if you buy a car from us, for associated insurance products, for market research and the tracking of data, to improve our products and services.
In order to provide you with services, we may collect personal information about you from our website, telephone conversations, emails, and written and verbal communications. We may, for example, keep a record of your name, address, delivery address, email address and telephone number.
Our primary goal in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, efficient, and personalised experience. We only collect personal information about you that we consider necessary for this purpose.
We will never pass your personal data to anyone else, except for any successors in title to our business and suppliers that may process data on our behalf. We may use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individual customers are identified) for marketing and development purposes.
Requesting your data
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you may request details of personal information that we hold about you. If you want to make a request, you should write to the Company Secretary, The Car People, Calder Island Way, Wakefield WF2 7AW.
If you believe that any information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, you should write to the Company Secretary at the address above. Any information that is found to be incorrect will be corrected as soon as possible.
‘Sell Your Car’ - Car Buyer Terms & Conditions
Valuer – The Car People Ltd, Calder Island Way, Wakefield WF2 7AW
Valuation – The price offered by the Valuer to the Owner for the Vehicle.
Vehicle – The vehicle details being entered into this site for the purpose of a valuation.
Owner – The person entering details into this website. Also the legal owner and registered keeper of the vehicle details being entered into this site.
Terms & Conditions
1. The Valuer provides the Valuation to the Owner based on their accurate appraisal of the Vehicle.
2. The Owner warrants that their appraisal is accurate & complete.
3. The Valuer is permitted to adjust their Valuation once they are able to view the Vehicle at their premises, but only if the Customer’s appraisal is inaccurate in any way or if additional adverse information becomes known.
4. The Valuer reserves the right to reject the Vehicle if they are not informed about any significant items that affect the Vehicles value (e.g. Unknown registrations on stolen or write off registers).
5. The Owner warrants that they are the legal owner & registered keeper of the Vehicle and they have good title to sell it.
6. The Owner can only deliver the Vehicle to the Valuer at the agreed location at the appointed time.
7. The Vehicle must be roadworthy.
8. The Valuer will only buy the vehicle from the Owner if they are the registered keeper of the vehicle & they can provide the original, current UK V5c (registration document) when they deliver the vehicle.
9. The Owner will ensure that all relevant documentation for the Vehicle, that was disclosed on the Vehicle appraisal, is brought with them when they deliver the Vehicle. Any items disclosed on the appraisal but not with the Vehicle may affect the Vehicle’s value. (e.g. MoT certificate, service history, etc)
10. The Valuer will pay the Owner the amount agreed as long as the Vehicle is described. Payment will be made by business cheque unless other arrangements have been made.
11. If the Owner has outstanding finance on the Vehicle then this will either need to be fully cleared in advance of handing the Vehicle over or settled by the Valuer. The Owner will need to provide an original finance settlement letter from the finance company with 7 days remaining on it at the point they drop their vehicle off
12. If the Owner has outstanding finance that is greater than the value of the Vehicle then the Valuer will settle such finance as long as they are in receipt of cleared funds for the difference between the settlement and the final agreed Valuation of the Vehicle.
13. All parts of this contract can only be amended in writing between both parties. Either by letter to Car Buyer Dept, The Car People, Calder Island Way, Wakefield WF2 7AW or by e-mail to email@example.com
Please also read the frequently asked questions below, to ensure everything has been covered before we progress with your valuation.
Q: What happens if I don't enter full details of my car's condition?
Our valuation is based on the details you provide us. We hold the details you enter when obtaining a valuation and will check that this information is accurate when we see your car.
If your appraisal does not match our appraisal of the car on viewing, we may need to adjust the valuation.
Q: What if I have outstanding finance against my car?
We are a licensed credit broker and used to handling settlements on behalf of our customers. We will be happy to settle the outstanding finance as part of the transaction.
You will have to obtain your settlement in writing on our behalf. The settlement letter will need 7 days remaining on it from the day you drop your vehicle with us.
If you wish to settle the outstanding finance yourself, we will need written confirmation of full & final settlement from your finance company prior to us purchasing your car.
Please note that it can take over 7 days to receive this after your finance company have received your payment.
Q: What if I owe more than the car is worth?
If you owe more on your finance than the value of the car, we will still be happy to buy the car, but you will need to pay us the shortfall by debit card when we purchase your car.
Q: What if I do not have a V5 registration document or it’s not in my name?
We are unable to purchase any car without the original V5 document (log book).
Also to prevent fraud we will only buy a car where it is registered in your name.
If you do not have a V5c or need to register yourself as the vehicle’s keeper then contact either your Local Vehicle Licensing Office or the DVLA. It normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to obtain a new V5.
Q: Do you buy cars with Private Registration Plates?
If you don’t want to keep your registration number then it’s no problem.
However if you want to transfer it or put it onto a retention certificate then you’ll need to have completed that process and have your new V5c (registration document) back beforehand.
To find out more about transferring or retaining personalised registrations please visit the DVLA website.
Q: What if my car has been imported?
We will still buy your car, but bear in mind that models and specifications vary from country to country. So the price may differ from that of a UK supplied car in some circumstances.
There are two types of import: a “parallel” import (i.e. purchased within the EU) and a “grey” import (i.e. purchased outside the EU). Cars which are parallel imports are typically UK specification and can normally be valued online.
Q: Why do you need my email address and telephone number?
We may need your email address & telephone number so that we can contact you if there is an issue with your valuation or appraisal. Please note, we fully adhere to the 1998 Data Protection Act and will not divulge any of your personal details to any other third party.
Q: How do you calculate the price for my car?
We use our own market intelligence as well as trade books and market reports to give you the most accurate price we can.
Our valuations are subject to viewing the car and should not be construed as a contract. The condition of your vehicle must be confirmed by a member of our team prior to purchase.
Q: What about my information, is it safe?
Your information is stored in full compliance with the 1998 Data Protection Act and will not be shared with any other company outside of The Car People Ltd.
Q: How do I make an appointment?
Once you’ve accepted our offer we’ll contact you to agree a date, time & location where your car can be dropped off & appraised.
Q: When are you open?
We are able to accept vehicles weekdays 10:00am to 7:00pm (excluding bank holidays) & Saturdays 10:00am to 12:00pm.
Q: What do I need to bring with me when I drop my car off?
To prevent fraud we ask that you bring both parts of your driving license with you. Please let us know if this is an issue.
Other than that we require the following documentation;
- V5c (registration certificate) - If the V5 logbook/registration certificate is still in the owner’s maiden name, you will need to bring a copy of your marriage certificate
- All service history and MOT certificates if available
- If the vehicle has any finance outstanding we will require a letter with the settlement figure from the finance company. This needs to have an expiry date of at least 7 days after your appointed drop off date
- Any other document/keys/codes that are relevant to the vehicle. Especially if you have detailed them on the appraisal.
- If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will call you back. Please ensure your valuation reference is on the e-mail.
Q: How will you pay me?
We’ll pay you by company cheque, which will be ready for you to take away when you drop your car off.
If you need your money more quickly, we can offer a Telegraphic Transfer. This will mean that you have the money in your account by the end of the next banking day.
Telegraphic Transfer payments are charged at £50.00 & will be made directly to your bank account on banking days only.